Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

A Moment For a Little Reflection on Meaning

"The purpose of life is not to win. The purpose of life is to grow and to share. When you come to look back on all that you have done in life, you will get more satisfaction from the pleasure you have brought to other people's lives than you will from the times that you outdid and defeated them." --Rabbi Harold Kushner
For me it is meaningful that I know I have done the very best that I can do each and every day. I do not hold myself up to be competitive with others. Too often, I see people losing sight of themselves in all the so-called "back-stabbing" competition to get ahead ... to grab that so-called prize that they think the other person has. In the arena of competition for a spot on some sort of leaderboard, people can and do become unfriendly, unkind and sometimes back-stabbing. What for I ask? Do you think that being on the top of that list is going to make you HAPPIER? Or, do you think it is going to make you rich?

Who was it that said, "For someone to win; someone has to lose." ???

julieannbrady be the best that YOU can be

What is it that you are really seeking? Are you seeking some type of meaning or recognition? It may sound trite and cliche to say this, but we need to look inside ourselves for meaning. Take a moment to reflect ... heck, it is the new year and a time for reflection after all.

Speaking from experience, I can say that I might have hit the upper ranks of some leaderboards in the past, but what has it accomplished? Trust me, there has been plenty of heartbreak with those leaderboards ... losing friends [who probably weren't friends to begin with], being misquoted, having words put in my mouth, having words taken out of context, having people copy ideas to set forth as their own, and so on. It is no picnic! I personally come down on the side to get rid of those leaderboards! Spotlight multiple people so as not to single out someone who can in a high school mentality [or even junior high sometimes] become a target for negativity!

So, why not take a moment from all that hubbub that you've put yourself into and take time for a little reflection on meaning. Hey, let's add some meaning to our lives before it is too late. Oh, and I've found a couple of books that I might recommend to you. Peace!

6 comments:

Christine P. said...

True, so true. I'm not always sure I give enough, but boy oh, boy how you get there is as important as getting there. As we say in the medical fields...the first rule is to do no harm!! Keeping sight of what you really want can be hard when you're "focusing" on a short term, although perhaps necessary goal. We all need to step back and take a look periodically.

KGDesigns said...

Well said. I'm really sorry you've been unfairly attacked. Your support and advice have certainly been appreciated by me. Everywhere I go online, you've blazed the trail before me. Nevertheless, a new year is a good time to set personal goals and priorities. It's also healthy to periodically weed out negative influences and toxic people. Life is just too darn short!

Jaguar Julie said...

Hello Christine! You know, I too had exposure working in the medical field first in Columbus, Ohio and then at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia. Emory provided the most meaningful experience for me, in that I worked as the Office Manager for Dr.Andreas R. Gruentzig, the pioneer of Coronary Angioplasty.

Oh my yes how true this is! "The first rule is to do no harm!!" Thinking this has brought a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat. Good grief, but doesn't that send a loud message to one and all? Stop and think for a moment. What the heck are YOU doing? Are you putting out something negatively to advance yourself?

Thank you Christine!

Jaguar Julie said...

Hello to you Kim and thank you ever so kindly for taking a moment from your busy schedule to leave your thoughts and advice.

May I repeat what you have said, "It's also healthy to periodically weed out negative influences and toxic people. Life is just too darn short!"

Amen to that. It's quality over quantity too. A quality friendship means the world. A friend is there for you no matter what. Thank you Kim. I surely VALUE our friendship.

Holley said...

Julie, to reiterate what Kim said, you are trail blazer and a model to be followed and imitated. There will always be that one who feels the need to tear others down so they can feel superior. You always have my support.

How we respond to situations is the difference between the classy (you) and classless (the instigator).

I love the new theme!

Hugs to you :)

Jaguar Julie said...

Holley! Good to see you and I trust that life is treating you well.

Say, isn't this new "theme" or "skin" rather cool? I was happy to see Blogger experimenting with MORE style and functionality. Now, I just need to put my creative thinking cap on and dress up this place, topicably speaking.

A long and prosperous, fulfilling life to you my dear. ;)