Pages

Friday, September 4, 2009

A Lensmaster, Giant Squid and Twitter Etiquette

This morning finds me reading a number of helpful blogs on proper Twitter Etiquette. It was a fellow, respected lensmaster and giant squid who suggested to me the other day that I write a lens:
... on how to spread out Tweets, use Tweeting services to spread them out, and write effective Tweets to get attention, rather than clog inboxes for only a few minutes once a day!
So, I happened upon A Brief and Informal Twitter Etiquette Guide by Chris Brogan. I have extracted a few of the tips that Chris offers us that I think are so worthy of pointing out today:
  • Promoting others and talking with others is a great way to show your participation to the community.
  • Only blurting out your information and links doesn’t usually come off as friendly or community-minded.
  • However, the more you can respond, the more people tend to stay with you and build relationships.
  • People might unfollow you if you tweet excessively.
  • It’s not polite to direct message people you don’t know well with your automated quiz results or similar.
Perhaps you have read my Squidoo lens, How Often Should You Send a Twitter Update? "Do you do one a day, one an hour, or one every few minutes? What is the acceptable number of updates -- is there such a thing?" What kind of twitter updates do you send? As a lensmaster, and more importantly, a Giant Squid, it is imperative that we observe a certain protocol with Twitter Etiquette.

Personally, I employ a balance to my Twitter updates. If I opt to update my 484 Squidoo lenses, it is in extreme moderation that I simply click the Twitter button that tells everyone that I updated my Squidoo lens. I've seen Twitter users who have sent only those tweets. Twitter isn't about Squidoo promotion you know -- moderation is key! Now that we have the special, interactive module pages for our reader content on lenses, it is a cool feature that you can send a Twitter update on that content. Again, in moderation!

If you are tweeting, "I just updated by Squidoo lens" over and over and over again, what is that going to say about Squidoo? If you noticed a Twitter "user" who doesn't engage their followers or friends through Twitter, but only opts to send Squidoo lenses over and over again, this blatant self-promotion will surely cast a unkind light on that lensmaster -- hopefully this lensmaster is not a Giant Squid!

Do you realize that there was a Google slap for spam a couple of years ago? Do you realize that Squidoo is filtering through lenses that are spammy to lock those? Do you realize that certain topics are now considered taboo on the Squidoo platform? For some lensmasters, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, what is junk to one lensmaster may be considered a beautiful thing to another lensmaster. We are dealing with cultures worldwide, with different perceptions on what is right and wrong. I don't know that there has been an ISO Standard written on spam and junk -- sometimes there appears to be gray areas of interpretation.

Are you tweeting Squidoo, Squidoo, Squidoo over and over and over again? Like perhaps you are all excited about the opportunity to write about your passions and interests and make some royalties for your work, so you are shouting about that on Twitter -- over and over and over again? I've noticed lately, some Twitter users who are Squidoo lensmasters tweeting their Squidoo referral link a number of times. Sending your Squidoo referral link over and over again is really not a good thing. All good things are done in moderation.


Giant Squids have higher standards than lensmasters who are striving to achieve that honor. Sure, you've heard that you can create 50 QUALITY lenses and then apply to become a Giant Squid. However, there are certain responsibilities that come with that title of Giant Squid. Giant Squids are respectful not only of their fellow lensmasters, Squid Angels, Giant Squids, and Squidoo HQ, but they conduct themselves in a manner that would make others proud to know them. Giant Squids are a beacon of light for what is good at Squidoo. A beacon of light for what is good at Squidoo.

You may want to follow @chrisbrogan on Twitter because he offers sage advice for proper Twitter Etiquette as well as other valuable social media tips.

8 comments:

Jaguar Julie said...

Alex, how true -- you offer sage wisdom my dear! Yes, I've heard another lensmaster describe that incessant self promotion with the same type of link over and over again as a "machine gun" approach. Personally jackhammer vs. machine gun? I prefer neither!

Drifter0658 said...

Nothing worse than tweeting someone who just updated their lens, and broadcast it with the generic message only to never get a response to a simple hello.

How about the lensmasters who continuously beg for people to come and visit their lenses, even to the point of a spam of DM's, yet they never go out of their way to walk the other side of the street for community?

Squidoo is a wonderful community and a powerful tool, but so is a jackhammer and most people try to shut them out.

Jaguar Julie said...

Alex, you made me think of another topic -- Forum Etiquette. That would make a great blog post to address etiquette, politeness, duplicate forum posts being uncool as well as flaming other lensmasters.

Achim "Chef Keem" Thiemermann said...

Great stuff on your blog. Really. I'll have to read it all later when I have time. Feel free to visit my Police Job Blog and everything else I've ever written on the web which is completely irrelevant to your interests. Please RT all my tweets. Especially the Police Job Blog ones that nobody cares about. Keep up the good work!

Jaguar Julie said...

Ah Achim! Bless you. I'm laughing for the first time today -- OK, maybe not the first time since I am reading the Zut daddy's rapid fire tweets. Have a good holiday my dear.

Jaguar Julie said...

OK, I should have included this nugget of information in my blog post about Twitter Etiquette.

Ladies and gentlemen, it is plain NOT COOL to tweet your Squidoo lens and then say "Rate our lens at Squidoo," or "Please rate my lens," or "Please check out and rate my Squidoo lens."

It is just not cool to be begging for ratings or for encouraging any kind of ratings or visit exchanges.

Jaguar Julie said...

I've recently seen that a fellow lensmaster took up the suggestion from a previous post of mine to direct attention from Twitter Etiquette to Forum Etiquette. My Comment: "September 4, 2009 1:04 PM Alex, you made me think of another topic -- Forum Etiquette. That would make a great blog post to address etiquette, politeness, duplicate forum posts being uncool as well as flaming other lensmasters."

The internet is a huge social media platform with so many vehicles for communication. There are appropriate protocol, rules, courtesy and definitely etiquette. Remember the old saying, "When in Rome do as the Romans do." We each need to abide by socially responsible guidelines. My old saying, "Be the BEST that YOU can be -- we are all truly unique and worthy individuals."

Seriously McMillan said...

Love the blog. Come by and visit mine, as well. Seriously McMillan
http://shesoghetto.wordpress.com