Pages

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Protocol and Promotion Personal Commentary

Pardon me as I do a definition search for the word "protocol." Let's see, I'm checking out Merriam-Webster:
a detailed plan of a scientific or medical experiment, treatment, or procedure
Nope, not that definition.
a code prescribing strict adherence to correct etiquette and precedence
OK, I'll go with this one.


I was a Squidoo Squid Angel for the first time, well over a year ago, for a term of six months. Thankfully, I was granted my "wings" so to speak for my second term just recently. It is because I am a Squid Angel that I am talking about my take on "protocol and promotion." This is my take, my personal commentary.

I, along with my fellow angels -- 32 of us! -- are tasked with certain daily responsibilities, which I take seriously and conscientiously. On any given day, I am busy reviewing and visiting hundreds of lenses. As of this writing, I have rated nearly 6,200 lensmasters' lenses. That sounds like a lot; but you know there are some lensmasters with much more than that under their belts! It takes a lot of time and thought to do that many ratings/visits. Oh, I'm not even taking into account those lenses that I've visited that are not ready for ratings -- don't know if I would be up to 9,000 lenses or more, but I suspect so.

Well, the personal commentary part is this. Since I am a Squid Angel, as in my previous term, I find myself less and less wanting to send a Squidcast or post in the forum to encourage visits to my lenses. I don't know why, call me funny [yes I know I need more humor in my lenses]; but I've scaled back on that kind of 'self-promotion.' I've scaled way way back on my twitter tweets too. I've got some new followers and don't want to flood them out.

So, what about YOU? Are you a Squid Angel too and have a take on this? Are you doing the same amount of promotion nowadays as previously? Or, have you too scaled back in certain areas.

Because I am Squid Angeling, much of my extra time [if there was such an animal] is now occupied with those duties and leaving me with not enough time for my blogging. When I'm blogging, I love this form of expression. Note to self, "make more time for blogging."

Did I say angel? What it means to be a Squidoo Squid Angel -- Blessings to you, my dear!

4 comments:

Jeff Wendland said...

I personally don't like it when people over promote their lenses on Squidu. Through other formats its fine, but if everyone did it on Squidu it would be hard to find any serious threads.

Every few months or so I will mention a new lens I made if it is on a subject that is hot at that moment though.

Katinka Hesselink said...

There are so many kinds of promotion. For most of my lenses it just doesn't make sense to promote within squidoo. I mean - who's interested in a Buddhism Quiz? Buddhists... so I promote that lens on the buddhist forums I'm on.

I think, in general, as one gets more popular as a lensmaster, it's less necessary to brag about lenses to other lensmasters - you know, just to get that first star rating. Paradoxically- not promoting your stuff may actually be great promotion :)

But when I make squidoo related lenses - and I've made (at least) three at least the past week - I squidcast them, post about them, blog about them at squidtop: the whole nine yards.

So, I think it just shows how good a promoter you are, that you're toning down on promoting.

I just submitted a blogpost from my year old spiritual blog to stumbleupon. I knew it would be a hit, but I also knew that it could only be such a hit if I hadn't already promoted that blog on stumble. In other words: knowing when to use that card makes a lot of difference. Does that make sense? I know you're not on stumbleupon, so probably not. The point is: promotion works way better when you only plug the best stuff.

Jaguar Julie said...

Jeff, thanks for taking time to comment. Oh my do I hear you. "But if everyone did it on Squidu it would be hard to find any serious threads." You are absolutely right. Imagine those lensmasters with over 200, 300, and more lenses! Gosh, they could bury the forum. I'm picking and choosing when to do a SquidCast.

Jaguar Julie said...

Well hi there Katinka, long time no see! You are a busy gal. Thanks for taking time for some Topicability. Oh yes, "Paradoxically- not promoting your stuff may actually be great promotion." Can you hear me now? ;)

Yes it would make sense to do the whole nine yards for Squidoo-related lenses that would impact and interest the group of lensmasters. Oh, I am on StumbleUpon, but haven't been very active there. I must give it another good old college try though -- thanks for the suggestion.

Happy Holidays to you my dear!