Pages

Monday, June 8, 2009

Should I be a Squidoo lensmaster

Should I or shouldn't I be a Squidoo lensmaster? Today in his blog post, Seth Godin asks the question, "Why am I here?" Indeed! I'm not waxing philosophical when I say that I've recently been asking myself that question a lot! It's been a time of examining how my time is spent; whether it is making sense that I participate in some form or fashion online at certain social media sites. After all, a person can spread themselves a little thin by trying to keep active everywhere -- unless you are a Wonder Woman or a Superman or perhaps Guy Kawasaki who is one amazing guy -- especially on Twitter!


Just as Seth's blog post was quite topicable for me today, so was the blog post from the SAMBA blog. The latest post asked another resonating topicable question of What do you hear? That topicable question was also picked up on by ChefKeem when he asked, "Do You Know Who Is Talking About You On The Web?" The SAMBA blog suggested that we check out Social Mention which is an aggregator that collects information from a number of different social media sites.
In addition to listening to what people are saying about your brand, also listen what they are saying about your competition. It is not sneaky, but smart!
So what does that have to do with whether I should or shouldn't be a Squidoo lensmaster? Here, hear! When I was taking a hard look at my presence online, I was evaluating my presence at a number of social media sites. I took a particularly close look at two different activities: blogging and Squidooing. I've been blogging since December 2004 and on Squidoo since March 2006. There is a ratio of 2 to 1 when you compare the number of lenses I have authored to the number of blog posts I have penned. Squidoo has had me in its hold for over 3 years.

It is interesting to compare worldwide readership of blogs to Squidoo lenses. Here is a snapshot of readership -- the worldwide visitors -- from my Jaguar Julie :: Blog On and On ... blog:

jaguarjulie blog worlwide readership
For comparison purposes, here is a snapshot of the worldwide readership -- the worldwide visitors -- to my >445 Squidoo lenses:

jaguarjulie squidoo lensmaster worldwide readership
It's pretty obvious from the second snapshot that there is more cultural diversity in the readership for Squidoo lenses. The worldwide reach of Squidoo is quite phenomenal! When you author a quality Squidoo lens that has been optimized with rich, meaningful content and relevant keywords, your lens has an excellent opportunity of being indexed by a variety of search engines so that you can have a strong worldwide readership base. The icing on the cake is when you additionally promote your lens judiciously to social media platforms.

worldwide readership of jaguarjulie squidoo lenses vs her google blogLet's take a closer look at the top twenty countries for the worldwide readership comparing Squidoo lenses vs. a Google blog. Looking at the snapshot above, and comparing the list on the left with the list on the right, you see many of the same countries. In this example, the top three countries for both are the same -- the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom! Together, for lenses they account for 77% of the readership base; for the blog, 72%. For the most part, this would be what I expected to see without looking at the tangible evidence.

You know it would be interesting to have a snapshot of the membership base of Squidoo lensmasters to see how their percentages stack up against the readership base. Much has been said that more Squidoo lensmasters are of the female persuasion; many of which are work-at-home moms. I'm thinking that the greatest percentage of Squidoo lensmasters DO come from the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom!

OK, so back to the question, "Should I or shouldn't I be a Squidoo lensmaster?" If you are interested in having a worldwide reach that is quite phenomenal, I would say that the answer is a compelling YES! Do you have something that you are passionate about? Why not create a phenomenal lens to shout out to the world? Why not join me! I've invested many an hour writing about a number of things that I find interesting; looking to engage my readers -- my worldwide readership base.

And, now I'm looking to judiciously monitor my time by asking, "Why am I here?" and What do you hear? Can you hear me now?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Some interesting Stats here.

Papierflieger said...

Hi Julie,
a great post. If I had to make a choice between Squidoo and blogging I would stop blogging !
In fact I have considered this for quite some time,but I have not decided yet. A fact however is that my squidoo lenses reach by far more readers than my blogs. A comparison is a bit unfair as my blogs are in German language and the content is similar,but not exactly the same.
However I found that a handfull of lenses can generate a multible of the exposure that is possible with personal blogging.

Jaguar Julie said...

Yes, EH - you hit the nail on the head! Who would have thunk some 3 or so years ago that our lenses would be king with our readers, attracting such a strong worldwide audience. I think the stats alone provide a compelling reason to be Squidooing -- Squidooing with heart, authentic content and making for a compelling read.

Thanks for stopping by today -- it was nice to see you!

Unknown said...

Very interesting Julie. I am going to post about this on Squidlog today.

Jaguar Julie said...

You know it is interesting to look back to my January post Worldwide Reach of Squidoo and see that the stats are pretty consistent with the United States at a solid 67% of the readership.

Unknown said...

I've asked myself that question a lot lately...I've put a lot of work and energy into squidoo, and have had some really bad experiences with fellow lensmasters who try to sabatage my hard work, out of jealousy or I don't know why...but I also see so many new lensmasters that I have been able to help and watch grow... so I know that the good really does outweigh the bad.