Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

That is just plain wrong I say

What the heck is that I am wondering? You see, I've talked about the sidebar that I love so much. It is some really prime real estate that aligns itself to the right column, i.e. sidebar of our Squidoo lenses. OH, and there is also sidebar on our blogs too you know?

Well, here I was minding my own business today ... and I dropped by another lensmaster's lens. I don't know why I didn't notice THAT earlier, I guess I wasn't looking for it. There in that right sidebar column was this series of 3 Chitika Premium Sponsored Ads er Results. Well I surely beg YOUR pardon, but get it right will you!


This is shameful. We lensmasters pride ourselves on our quality content lenses which occasionally will merit the awarding ... drumroll ... of that purple star. Yes, once in a blue er purple moon it might happen.  And, we pride ourselves in getting Google traffic from being placed high in Google's search results.  What can TOP that high placement?  Why ADS!  Sponsored ads ... ads that are paid for i.e. paying for clicks on top traffic topics.  Stuffed Cabbage, my friends seems to have arrived in the mainstream ... and this is actually kind of funny!  You know?

So, why am I sounding a bit peeved? I'll come back later and share the other blog post about why all those ads for stuffed cabbage as that's just what I am asking once again. Who moved my cheese? Who STOLE my traffic? Why WOULD someone want to steal my traffic for Stuffed Cabbage of ALL things?

This is actually kind of funny ... you know ... and probably you are thinking IT IS FUNNY, well funny until it happens to you and your topics.  Ciao!

2 comments:

Tony Payne said...

I think that Chikita and Google often now present ads that are relevant to searches that you have made recently, and not necessarily relevant to the lens/page you are viewing.

It's good and bad in my opinion. I would still prefer to see something that is relevant to the page being viewed.

Jaguar Julie said...

Hey there Tony! How are ya? Well, my point is that if you look closely at the actual website with those supposed Stuffed Cabbage ads, they are totally UNRELATED to it. You get what I'm saying? So, if it really was a relevant website, like say Martha Stewart or Hungarian Recipes or Polish Recipes or Eastern European Recipes ... now that would make sense. But the websites are NOT relevant whatsoever. It's going after keywords or tag words to appear to be related.

Do you get what I'm saying. Oh, not to confuse it with ME thinking I "own" that topic. I don't, but I sure CARE hugely about that topic. Let's keep the ads, if we are going to be advertising to get that traffic, let's keep those ads relevant and to relevant, authentic websites.

That's all. And, I predict more passionate people will come forward when they get this and they get that it is happening to them. To something they care about. Maybe THEY do happen to own a topic? Well, I think you get what I'm saying.