Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Holy Purple Cow Purple Stars

OK ... perhaps I should rephrase the title of "Holy Purple Cow Stars" to actually read something like this:

Holy Cow! Purple Stars!!!  And, that's what I'm talking about.  I used the cow in reverence to our founder, Seth Godin, and I use purple because, gosh darn it, he's written about purple cows and we have purple stars on the Squidoo platform.  Ah, get it?


On January 20, 2010, in an attempt to stimulate thoughtful and constructive conversation on the purple stars and the purple star program, I posted a thread to our SquidU Forum.  Here is a paragraph from that thread:
Wow, I'll bet we have well over a thousand purple stars now! Gosh, remember when we were all chattering about the effect of those purple stars? Well, I am very proud of each and every one of you who have been so awarded a purple star or many purple stars! Wow! What a job that must surely be to evaluate all those purple star nominations to determine whether or not a lens is worthy of a purple star.

Say, speaking of that ... we have Bonnie and Robin [only] reviewing the nominations and awarding those purple stars? Right? Gosh, I'm thinking maybe we could have a Purple Star Review Committee to help out -- you know, we have so many groups and group activities and what not that occupy a lensmaster's time.
Well, my conversation, appeared to me, to get a bit testy although it wasn't meant to have people getting defensive, going on the offensive, and taking sides about whether or not they thought the purple star program was working.  Suffice to say, though, that my thoughtful discussion did seem to lead to some "improvements" and changes! Yes it did.

Many a lensmaster began to trumpet the swell program with purple star topic lenses! And, even those purple star topic lenses garnered purple stars for said lensmaster(s)! Oh yeah. Then, we celebrated the anniversary of the initiation of purple stars with a day to award purple stars to non-giant lenses. Oh yeah! And, as of today, we have now celebrated a couple more special occasions with actual purple star queens handing out purple stars. Oh yeah!  Thanks Susan for the swell job.  I tell you WHAT!  I sure wouldn't want the responsibility of determining which lensmasters' lenses deserved the purple star.

You see, we can nominate our own lenses for a purple star. However, I've always felt a little weird about nominating myself or my work. So, I do believe the very last lens I did nominate for a purple star was in December 2009 for a lens that was really a project lens. I've surely nominated MANY other lensmasters lenses and am happy to say that I do think all my nominations have garnered purple stars for those lensmasters ... and I do think only one of those lensmasters guessed that it was me who did the nomination.  I like to be a bit quiet and humble about those nominations and do get a big smile when they guess it was me.

On the other hand, I do believe out of all my purple stars, I've figured out the ONE lensmaster who has nominated my lenses.  And, I still can't believe it's been only one lensmaster to thank for nominating my lenses for a purple star.  I surely appreciate my friend and fellow lensmaster, Janet, who has reminded me that we should not draw our worth from purple stars ... you know, purple stars don't define the caliber of our work, but it sure can be nice when everyone else is getting them ... you know ... to actually be included too.  ;)

So ... here we are today.  I obviously had too much time on my hands this Saturday as I was multitasking ... doing the laundry, editing my lenses, reading my email, chatting on the forum ... that I was curious after our last celebration of purple stars ... to take the time to do a descending order tally to see WHO is getting those purple stars.  OH, and what a surprise!  Holy Cow! Purple Stars!!!  I did NOT expect to find a guy on top.

It is huge to see a friend and fellow lensmaster, EditorDave at the top of the purple stars tally!  Huge congratulations to EditorDave for garnering eighteen purple stars.  That is truly amazing.  EditorDave has got some of the most enthralling lenses.  I was just remarking, I think yesterday or the day before, about the komodo dragon pictures.  OMG!  Now that is one fella I wouldn't want to encounter in a dark alley ... the dragon!!!

So, to all my interested readers and lensmasters, here is that descending order purple star tally, from most to least, and presenting the lensmasters alphabetically by number of purple stars earned thus far.

CONGRATULATIONS everybody!
  • 18 -- EditorDave
  • 17 -- KimGiancaterino
  • 14 – BigGirlBlue, drifter0658 , kiwisoutback
  • 13 – Sylvestermouse, Treasures-By-Brenda
  • 12 -- janices7, kab, tandemonimom
  • 11 -- aj2008, enslavedbyfaeries, Evelyn_Saenz, Greekgeek, Heather426, OhMe, stargazer00
  • 10 – chefkeem, JaguarJulie, Ramkitten, skiesgreen, Susan52, WindyWinters
  • 9 -- boshemia, Christene, clouda9, Comfortdoc, ElizabethJeanAllen, Spook, Stazjia, The_Party_Animal
  • 8 -- 24websurf, bethd821, j_barnhart4, Joan4, kimmanleyort, LindaJM, mbgphoto, NanLT, naturegirl7, Norma_Budden, Pastiche, pkmcr, susannaduffy, ThomasC
  • 7 -- BevsPaper, ChapelHillFiddler, lakeerieartists, makingamark, MeltedRachel, Mickie_G, monarch13, mysticmama, paperfacets, quippingqueen, sandyspider
  • 6 -- _Joan_, CDT, ClassyGals, CoolFoto, Crystal_Booth, Frankster, hlkljgk, Jimmie, jptanabe, KathyMcGraw, lisadh, luvmyludwig, MiaBellezza, mukunda22, Pukeko, spirituality, thefluffanutta, WhiteOak50
  • 5 -- a_willow, AndyPo, arncyn, badmsm, Barkely, EverythingMouse, GrowWear, Janet21, Kate-Phizackerley, Ladymermaid, LoKackl, mulberry, Noadi, SemperFidelis, Sojourn, TheGreenerMe, theraggededge, Tipi, tirial, WhitePineLane
  • 4 -- 0ctavias0fferings, ArtByLinda, AslanBooks, BFuniv.com, CleanerLife, daria369, dc64, gmarlett, Gordon_Hamilton, GroovyFinds, GypsyPirate, HorseAndPony, Jewelsofawe, JoyfulPamela, Laniann, LeanneChesser, LizMac60, lou16, mbrownauthor, missbat, poddys, relache, Rob_W, Romaxx, ronpass, Squidster, strayspay, SusanVillasLewis, triathlontraining, vallain, Victoria_Neely, WebSpinstress, WordCustard
  • 3 -- andreaberrios, BarbRad, bdkz, Bradshaw, Chadrew, CherylK, CreativeArtist, daybreak, DMedley, draik, EelKat, Ener-G, flowergardener, happynutritionist, inkserotica, jkvkdailey, JohannTheDog, Mac33, Macs, Margo_Arrowsmith, Michey, N376, NAIZA, ottoblotto, partybuzz, Peggy707, poutine, rms, seashell2, SoyCandleLover-Maker, voodoomama, Wysiwigs
  • 2 -- AddaptAbilities, AllThingsMichigan, anthropos, awelldressedbullet, azpoppy, boutiqueshops, Brookelorren, Caseyfern, CCGAL, charlino, crosscreations, CrypticFragments, dagsmith, Dkprincess6, eclecticeducation, EternalFlame, Euryale, flighty02, flowski, Flynn_the_Cat, Freaknoodles, genglo, gkygrl, GonnaFly, GramaBarb, hmsweaver, Irenemaria, jbdkz, jeffryv, JJNW, johndilbeck, JustBon-Crochet-Designs, Karendelac, katiyana, Kylyssa, Laddoo, LakeMom, LauraSchofield, lisakleinweber, LotusPetalYoga, Loyalis, Marelisa, Margaret_Schaut, michaelgibbons, MikeMoore, MissMerFaery, mosaic, NancyOram, nyfamily5, Pantherart, papawu, Pixelrage, prosperity66, Rajays, RichLeigh, rockycha, sandralynnsparks, Shar, SimeyC, smange, squidoohelp, steveffeo, sukkran, The_Homeopath, thesuccess, Tiddledeewinks, TrinaSonnenberg, unique_freak77, vanidiana, vbright105, Webcodes, whitemoss, XP
  • 1 -- 4U2C, AdrienneJenkins, aidenw, Aldric_Chang, AlishaV, allthatiscute, alteredkat, amandaquerque, athomemomblog, AtHomeSource, babygirlboutique, Barrie, bcarter, bechand, beeobrien, bernadette1, blondeheroine, Bob_Druwing, boredofeducation, burgessvillian, ByRoy, Carmel_Aaron, cary_quirkoutcom, Charlyjl, chloecavanaugh, Christopher_Scott, Clairwil, confetta, CosmeticMom, daoine, d-artist, Dawn_Mathisen_aka_Candle_Dawn, ddixonart, Diamond_Wizard, Donnette, ebay-grandma, EbizTaxTips, Eclectic_Muse, Ecolicious, ElleDeeEsse, emmalarkins, EuroSquid, fefe, flipflopnana, gods_grace_notes, grannysage, grayth, groovyoldlady, guardianstar77, GypsyOwl, hollandnumerics, HotbuttonPress, icjackson, imaginemdd, IntuitiveHealer, JanaMurray, JanTUB, Janusz, jeffwend, JenniferAkers, JenOfChicago, JimH, kajohu, KarateKatGraphics, KathrynDarden, kcbaker1, kellywissink, Kelsey-Budden-16, Kharadriisa, KimberlyDawnWells, KNicholls, Lady_Gotrocks, lollyj, Lou1842, lwhitelaw, Magicality, marsha32, MeganCasey, MobyD, motorpurrr, MrLewisSmile, Mrs_R, MsSnow4a, mynameiskate, nDee, nightbear, nightcats, Not-Pop, ohcaroline, OneFootPutt, oneskms, only1bub, PatinKC, PeopleLive, Photahsiamirabel, PJ_Deneen, pmolinero, puzzlemaker, pyle_mountain, QueSea, Rewards4life, RickBasset, RinchenChodron, rksmythe, rlmodranski, RMJ1940, Roving_Band, Samanthie, Sammie, SandraRose, Sarah, seedplanter, seegreen, SeeMyHealthyHairGrow, SherryHolderHunt, ShirlW, shwetashah, sirkeystone, SquidooKimberly, StaciJansma, Superwife, Tallguy2, TeaLady, Teddi14, The_Health_Lady, TheLeftFitz, thrivingmom, Tiffany, TopMovieSoundtracks, Trekkiemelissa, tssfacts, Twmarsh, ulla_hennig, Vacation-In-My-Head, Vladi, Waxing-Lyrical, weavz, webnh, webseitler, WeddingZazzle, Wednesday_Elf, WendyKrick, WhippetTalk, WhitneyWells, WhitU4ever, Winter52, xtnshun, ZachG
As of June 5, 2010, the list shows 1,267 purple stars have been awarded in total.  The majority of purple stars have been awarded to lensmasters who are giant squids.  The purple star is awarded to lenses with quality content. There are only a limited number of purple stars handed out on a weekly basis.  Many, many more lenses are deserving of purple stars.  To be awarded a purple star, your lens must be nominated!

5 comments:

Greekgeek said...

Holy Cow is right!

And thank you once again, Julie, for agitating on behalf of people getting recognized. You rock so very much.

Which reminds me, I need to update that blinking Squidoo Museum, as my own tiny personal way of recognizing good lenses!

Jaguar Julie said...

Oh me oh my! But I like the sound of that i.e. "for agitating on behalf of people getting recognized." And that agitation can go a long ways.

Just was strolling along through your lenses my dear ... YOU should be writing those computer how-to books as you would make it FUN!

Thank you for dropping by!

Beth said...

Thanks, Julie, for putting together this post. Congratulations to my fellow Purple Star lensmasters. You sure did some hefty research coming up with how many Purple stars each lensmaster has received.

DaveG said...

Wow.... that's sort of embarrassing... I didn't realize that what I thought was just a "few purple stars" was considered the "top of the pile". Thank you, Julie, for digging into the statistics and finding all this info. :-)

I have troubles keeping up with my 227 lenses... I don't know how those of you with more than 400 do it. (Julie, you have more than 600, right?)

Whew! Now I've got to figure out how to make 'em prettier (and to get them making some cash flow)!

Jaguar Julie said...

Hey Dave! Congratulations on being out there creating such fabulous lenses and earning those purple stars.

You know, it is important that good stuff rises to the top. And, you have done a great job at giving us some good stuff.

Very proud of you ... especially when someone was saying there were not enough guys around the place.